Crowle Wharf Engineers Celebrates its 50th Year Anniversary.
CWE are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. The business was formed in 1966 by 4 local men, Jack Hadlow, John Watson, Allan Gillatt and George Graville (Sleeping Partner). They decided to sink their personal savings into a business of their own. Their beginnings were humble, they took over the old British Waterways piling shed on the side of the local canal. Their first machine was rescued from a greenhouse.
The bulk of their work was making wire drawing machines for Bridon Ropes in Doncaster, and maintenance work for the local steelworks in Scunthorpe. Six years later the company had expanded its premises with more office space and new equipment, and had 8 employees, 4 of which were apprentices from the local area. The business soon gained a good reputation for “Quality Precision Engineering”.
Major developments of the company in the preceding years :-
- 1976 Moved to purpose built premises on Wharf Road, Ealand, Nr Scunthorpe.
- 1988 Business sold to Bryan and Sandra McMahon – Business expands into additional sectors including, Coal Mining, Coal Fired Power Stations, Material Handling and Rail, whist still retaining its original customers.
- 1995 Gains BSI 5750 Accreditation, now ISO 9001 2008.
- 1999 Acquires adjacent business BS Supplies. (Re-Bar Specialist for the Construction Sector)
- 2002 Sells BS Supplies but retains the land. – Designs and builds new factory to house the Fabrication, and Coupler repair shop.
- 2004 Acquires small CNC business AJ Engineering in Staveley.
- 2006 Acquires Mech Construction, Coal fired Power Station Specialists.
- 2014 Bryan and Sandra McMahon sell the business to a (Bimbo) Buy In Management Buy Out, with new Directors John Wood (Chairman), Chris Brown (Managing Director), Ian Siddle (Commercial Director), Mark Lifsey (Operations Director) and John Buist (Finance Director). Funded and supported by Forsight, Nottingham.
- 2015 Company opens new premises in Worksop, Nottinghamshire to house, and grow its Rail business.
The business continues to evolve into new market sectors, including Nuclear and Renewable Energy. Whilst retaining its reputation for Quality Precision Engineering, Health and Safety, Honesty, Reliability, and a pride in everything it does to support its customers in Engineering Solutions.
The workforce now numbers 50 personnel.
The Directors of Crowle Wharf Engineers would like to take this opportunity to thank all of its customers and employees, past and present who have each made a major contribution in the development and the continued success of the company.
Ian Siddle. Commercial Director. 20/02/2016.